Guest Post by Andrea Jayson: Most Important Things to Remember Before You Start For a Holiday
Most Important Things to Remember Before You Start For a Holiday
With so many things to remember, it is sometimes hard to know where to start. But with a holiday checklist you will be able to reduce the stress of packing and preparing for the trip.
THINGS TO PACK IN HAND LUGGAGE
- An up to date Passport, visa and airline ticket for screening purpose before you board your flight.
- Travel itinerary, ID or driving license, credit cards and hotel documentation.
- Traveller’s cheques and or foreign currency. If you are planning to take currency check out the cheapest rates online or get a prepaid card. This will be important, if you are required to pay for a service in the country of your destination.
- Valuables like cameras, camcorders, mobile phones or laptops.
- Medicine and if prescription carry documents of proof.
- Jumper, sweatshirt, magazines or books.
- When travelling with children, you will need to carry their favourite teddy bear, travel sickness medicine, snacks, Clothes, and blanket and activity books. And for a baby, a comforter, pampers, baby food, blanket and a changing mat. Don’t forget their passports.
- Assorted shoes and clothes. Remember to pack underwear, swimwear, hat, toiletries, sunscreen, travel adapters an extra jacket and beach towels.
- Don’t over-pack. Being stuck at the check-in desk can start your holiday on the wrong foot. If you decide to take extra luggage, pay for it in advance.
OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Ensure your home is secure. Double check windows and doors. Turn off and unplug all domestic appliances. You will have peace of mind not wondering whether you turned off the gas or the television. Empty your freezer of any foods that might not be fresh upon your return.
- Cancel any deliveries like groceries, newspapers and milk.
- Get a friend, a relative or a neighbour to keep an eye on your home. Leave them a spare key and your hotel telephone number
- Inform your bank and let them know when you will be back.
- Book your car hire in advance. It will be cheaper and a guarantee that the car will be available.
- Arrange for someone to take care of your pets or leave them at a pet home.
- Inquire from your doctor if you need to get inoculated. This are extra shots like for example, yellow fever. It all depends on part of the world you visit.
- Prepare a list of all emergency contacts and numbers.
- Pre-book a parking space at the airport in advance to get the best price.
- Travel insurance is a mandatory requirement. This will protect you from a variety of things that could threaten to ruin your holiday such as delayed flights, loss of luggage or medical bills.
As you prepare to go on holiday, double check that your documents are in order before the departure date. The UK Border Agency Ukba will check your documents in advance of travel using the data provided by passengers via their airlines or travel agents. The agency uses automatic clearance gates at the main international airports.